Toggle menu

Whole House Retrofit

Retrofit is the process of upgrading an existing building to improve its energy efficiency. If you would like to understand more about where to start with improving the energy efficiency of your home, you may be interested in having a 'Whole House Retrofit Plan' done. It will tell you what work needs to be done, how much it is likely to cost and where to find trusted installers.

A Retrofit Assessor will visit your home to assess your property and a Retrofit Coordinator will discuss the outcomes. You will receive a detailed report outlining the work you need to do to improve energy efficiency of your home. It will be set out in a phased approach with estimated costs, to help you plan the work. They can also help you find installers to undertake the work.

Free basic advice

You can use the Government home energy efficiency tool (opens new window) to learn more about measures that may be suitable for your home. Ecofurb (opens new window) also offers a free online tool which can provide advice tailored to your property. Both of these platforms reply on information you supply as the homeowner and are not based on an expert visiting and assessing your property.

Understanding Retrofit

The TrustMark quality mark is the only Government Endorsed Quality Scheme for work carried out in or around your home. It has a useful webpage on  understanding retrofit (opens new window) which has a video and comprehensive TrustMark Guide to Retrofit (opens new window) to help explain retrofit. 

How retrofit works:

1.     Assess your home:A qualified retrofit professional will assess your home

2.     A bespoke plan is produced:It can be carried out in stages to suit your budget, lifestyle or needs

3.     Quotes are obtained:from approved retrofit contractors

4.     Work begins:A preferred contractor is chosen, contracts are signed and work begins

5.     Work is completed:On completion, the work is checked to ensure it's delivered to all required quality standards

Finding a Retrofit Coordinator and installers

The council recommends that anyone looking for installers to do work on their home check that the company is registered with TrustMark. You can find accredited Retrofit Coordinators through the TrustMark TrustMark - Find a business (opens new window) directory or through the SuperHomes network (see below).

We also recommend that anyone looking to install renewable energy (heat pumps or solar panels) checks that any company is registered with the We also recommend that anyone looking to install renewable energy (heat pumps or solar panels) checks that any company is registered with the MCS accredited installers (opens new window). If you are looking for companies to provide insulation in your home they should be registered with the National Insulation Association (NIA) (opens new window). Companies registered with these schemes have been vetted and meet high industry standards and the schemes will have their own complaints procedures should there be any issues with quality of work.


The National Energy Foundation have set up SuperHomes to help people who want to learn more about retrofitting their properties. They have a team of in-house Retrofit Coordinators who can complete a Whole House Plan for you. There is a fee of between £500-£750 depending on the size of your property. 

Find out more on the Superhomes (opens new window) website where you can also see examples from other homeowners who have gone through the SuperHomes retrofit process. 

Retrofit and Planning Permissions

Whilst some retrofit measures can be installed under permitted development, it is important to check whether you need to obtain planning advice from the council. Planning permission can vary depending on whether you live in the part of the Chichester District which is within or without the South Downs National Park.

As a general householder you will need to submit a Do I need planning permission (householder) question.

As a listed building, and for advice on listed building consent, please submit a Do I need listed building consent? question.

For further information on planning permission visit Request pre-application advice

Retrofit for listed buildings and older homes in conservation areas

If you live in a listed building or in a conservation area, Historic England advice on energy efficiency in older buildings (opens new window) and Historic England guidance on Retrofit and Energy Efficiency in Historic Buildings (opens new window) will provide sound advice on how to improve energy efficiency whilst taking into account the construction of the building and ensuring the aesthetic character is maintained.