Traders Permits can be applied for by traders working within the Controlled Parking Zones who own a vehicle which is required to carry out the running of the business and to those businesses that require constant access to a delivery vehicle throughout the day.

A permit cannot be issued for the use of occasional loading or unloading activities as this may take place at any time providing that the vehicle is not causing an obstruction or parked in a prohibited area.

Other traders or those in the service sector are not entitled to a permit and should seek alternative parking i.e. pay and display/voucher parking bays, Dispensations Notices or Resident Visitor Permits.

Apply, renew or pay for a traders permit

When renewing a resident permit, there are two stages to this process. First you have to renew the permit. This will give you a webcode. You will need this webcode to pay for a resident permit renewal.

ZonesApply for a traders permitRenew a traders permitPay for a traders permit renewalWhat type of permit will I receive?
A or S Apply for a traders permit Renew a traders permit Pay for a traders permit renewal

A digital permit. A notification email will be sent when the permit is active. There is nothing to display in the vehicle when using digital permits

E, F, G, H, H2, J, K, L, M, N and OApply for a traders permitRenew a traders permit Pay for a traders permit renewal A paper permit. A permit will be posted when an application has been reviewed and authorised.

Traders permits cost

Cost of a Traders Permit Traders permit costs

Residents parking zone

Annual charge

Six month charge

Operational Times

E, F, G,  H, K, L, O

J, M, S



09:00 - 17:00

09:00 - 21:00

H2 and N (part day)



10:00 - 11:00 & 14:00 - 15:00

A (part day)£117.00£6209:00 - 10:00 & 13:00 - 14:00

Supporting information

What evidence will I need to provide for a permit?

In order that your application can be considered, please provide the following evidence:

  • Details and proof of the operational need on letter headed paper
  • Council Tax bill, Tenancy Agreement/Lease of trade premises

Please remember that without the information above we may not be able to process your application. The council reserve the right to refuse an application.

Using a Traders permit

Please ensure you read and agree to the Traders Permit terms and conditions.

  • A Traders permit can be used in any vacant on-street resident parking bay or shared use parking bay within the zone. It does not guarantee a space and does not allocate a specific space.
  • Up to 3 registrations can be logged against a permit providing the correct vehicle documentation can be supplied for each vehicle. Only one vehicle can use the permit at one time.
  • Failure to park in accordance with the West Sussex County Council Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) or to comply with the Terms and Conditions of your permit may result in a Penalty Charge Notice being issued. Please go to the West Sussex website to view the TRO.
  • If the council suspects that the permit is being misused, it reserves the right to withdraw or cancel a permit at any time.
Changing of registration / Adding additional vehicle registrations / Lost permits

Where a permit change is required, you will need to provide evidence to support your application.

Zone A and S changes

To apply to have a vehicle registration changed on a permit for Zones A or S please visit  MiPermit and click on Permit Vehicle Registration Changes.

Zone E, F, G, H, H2, J, K, L, M, N and O changes

To apply to have a vehicle registration changed or advise us you have lost your permit for Zones E, F, G, H, H2, J, K, L, M, N & O, please apply:

There is an administrative charge for making changes to permits.

When your permit change request has been approved you will receive an email notification.

The Permit Holder must allow at least 3 working days for these requests to be processed and also consider council opening hours, Bank and Public holidays.


Traders permit refunds

Zone A and S refunds

To request a refund for zones A & S please contact MiPermit   or call them on 0345 520 7007.

Zone E, F, G, H, H2, J, K, L, M, N and O refunds

To request a refund for zones E, F, G, H, H2, J, K, L, M, N and O, the permit must be returned to Parking Services. Refunds can only be issued for the remaining full months of the Permit and at a minimum of £10.00. This will be payable by BACS transfer to the original payment card and a refund form must be filled out. If the refund needs to be transferred to a different card please fill in this section on the refund form. These can be printed out.