Toggle menu

Resident Visitor Permit

West Sussex County Council is the authority responsible for on-street parking provision. Parking Services at Chichester District Council process and issue permits on their behalf.

Apply for a Resident Visitor Permit (RVP)

We are no longer selling or renewing permits at East Pallant House. If you visit the council offices, you will be asked to apply online. Some customers may not have access to online services. If you do not have access, customers can contact MiPermit by telephone on 0345 520 7007.

When applying for an RVP, you must allow 48 hours for the permits to be authorised. MiPermit and council opening hours should be taken into consideration when waiting for an approval.


Apply for a Resident Vistor Permit

What type of permit will I receive?

A, E, F, G, H, H2, J, K, L, M, N, O and S

Apply for a Resident Visitor Permit (opens new window)

A digital permit. A notification email will be sent when the permit is active, only then can you use your digital permit. There is nothing to display in the vehicle when using digital permits.

Resident Visitor Permit costs

You can check the costs and quantities you can purchase in your zone.

Resident Visitor Permit costs

The council will consider issuing weekly permits to customers who are on a parking waiting list. The council will monitor the sale of RVPs to ensure that these are not being used as an alternative to resident permits.

In certain circumstances the council may consider issuing more permits than you are permitted to purchase. You will need to apply for additional RVPs through our  Request additional Resident Visitor Permits form. This needs to be agreed by Parking Services.

Supporting information

Who can buy resident visitor permits?

RVPs are available for residents in zones A, F, G, H, H2, J, K, L, M, N, O and S. Permits are unavailable for the city centre, which is zone E.

In order to apply for RVPs:

  • you need to be a full time resident at a property within a zone (excluding Zone E-City Centre).
  • provide proof of residency. This can be your current council tax bill, domestic/utilities bills, tenancy agreements or bank statement (dated within the last 3 months). These must show your name and address.

We can accept a clear photograph or copy of evidence in jpg, png or PDF format.

Not every property which appears to be within a Controlled Parking Zone is eligible for parking permits. For example, Multiple Occupancy Developments or properties which have been re-developed do not automatically qualify for RVPs.


RVPs are also available for property owners and landlords who are required to visit properties to undertaking repairs.

In order to apply for RVPs, we require:

  • evidence that you own the property, or;
  • documentation confirming the landlord status

Landlords can apply through our Request additional Resident Visitor Permits online form. We can accept a clear photograph or copy of evidence in jpg, png or PDF format.

We may also ask what the nature of the visits to the property relate to. Landlords are advised to contact Parking Services so that records relating to the property can be updated to reflect that permits can be purchased by a person who is not living at the property.

How to use an RVP

Residents and their visitors should ensure they have read the conditions of their RVPs. These contain important information about the permits and how to use them.

  • You can activate your digital RVPs up to 7 days in advance through the MiPermit app (opens new window), online MiPermit account (opens new window) or by calling MiPermit on 0345 5207007.
  • Paper permits - you can use the scratch off panels (Day, Month, Hour, Minutes, Year) to mark the correct details on the permit and display it clearly in the visitor's vehicle. If your visitor needs to park for longer, they can display more than one permit and identical details should be marked on each.
  • Digital permits - you can log into your MiPermit account (opens new window) or the MiPermit app (opens new window) and use the 'Activate Your Permit' button to enter the registration of the visitor's vehicle, select the relevant options and then activate the permit.
  • Digital permits - you can use a Text (SMS). If you have visitor permits to use on your account, you can send an SMS (text message) to 61600.  The following is an example:
    • 'VISITOR  A123BCD  4hours'. 
      This will allow your visitor in vehicle A123BCD park in your zone for 4 hours. Durations will be dependent on the permits you have purchased and permits you have access to.
  • Digital permits - you can call MiPermit on 0345 520 7007 and they can authorise any visitor permits on your account for you. We can pass on authorisation to MiPermit for a specific person to activate visitor permits on your behalf.
  • A resident visitor permit can be used in any vacant on-street resident / permit holder parking bay or shared use parking bay within a particular zone. A permit does not guarantee a space and parking may not be found in the same road as a resident's property.
  • Controlled Parking Zones are indicated through signage and sometimes road markings too so we always advise to check these prior to parking.
  • In 2 hour Zones, such as A, H2 and N, one permit will cover both the morning and afternoon restriction.
  • It is important that visitors or tradespeople using the permits have been fully informed how to use them by reading the terms and conditions.
  • Misuse of the permits or failure to display paper permits correctly, may result in a Penalty Charge Notice being issued.

How to request a refund

Digital permit holders

To request a refund for all digital permits, please contact  MiPermit online (opens new window)  or call them on 0345 520 7007.

Paper permit holders

To request a refund for a paper permit, the permit must be returned to Parking Services. Refunds can only be issued for the remaining full months of the Permit and at a minimum of £10.00. This will be payable by BACS transfer to the original payment card and a refund form must be filled out. If the refund needs to be transferred to a different card please fill in this section on the refund form.

Refund form 2022 (Word doc) [36KB]