Toggle menu

Mortgage advice

If you are experiencing difficulties in keeping up with your mortgage repayments, please:

  • contact us as soon as possible for advice
  • talk with your mortgage lender to discuss alternative payment arrangements
  • contact an independent advice agency, such as your local Citizens Advice Bureau (opens new window) (CAB) which will be able to provide free, impartial advice.

We have a Housing Interventions Team who are here to advise you on all available options. Please call 01243534734.

Your lender has to follow certain steps so your home will only be repossessed as a last option. They should work with you to try to resolve the situation without the need for court action. The steps your lender has to follow before starting court action are outlined in the Pre-action Protocol. As well as advice on managing and prioritising your debts, the ​ may also be able to negotiate with your lender on your behalf.

General advice for anyone worried about keeping up with their mortgage payments can be found at - Support for Mortgage interest, or by reading the National Homeless Advice Service (NHAS) Mortgage Advice document.

NHAS Mortgage Advice Document (PDF) [618KB]

Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI)

Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI) is paid to those on benefits such as Income Support, income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, income-related Employment and Support Allowance or Pension Credit.

SMI can be paid on loans of up to £200,000. It is paid after 13 weeks for most people making a new claim who are of working age. If you receive Pension Credit, you do not have to wait before getting help with your mortgage, and SMI can be paid on loans up to £100,000.

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon