July 2021 - Draft Statement of Licensing and Gambling Policies in consultation 

The 10 week public consultation period begins on 28 June 2021, and will close at midnight on the 5 September 2021 for both policies.


March 2021 - The Great Sussex Way (formerly Visit Chichester) Community Membership

The Great Sussex Way (formerly Visit Chichester) is dedicated to building a stronger tourism economy across the Chichester District. To achieve this, they want to engage with all businesses involved. They are coordinating efforts across the sector to improve the collective offering. They are leading strategic discussions so businesses can align and deliver the best possible visitor experiences. They are also delivering marketing campaigns through the press and social media to promote and show case our area from the Downs to the Dunes. Please consider signing up to join The Great Sussex Way, free of charge, and be a proactive part of our tourist economy.

November 2020 - Introduction of tiers from (and including) 02/12/20

Following on from the announcement of the tiers system which will be from (and including) 2nd December 2020, the Government have updated the 'Restaurants, pubs, bars, cafes or takeaways' guidance. Please see this  GOV.UK page which is regularly being updated.

Poppleston Allen have also provided a helpful summary on this  page of their website.

November 2020- New National Restrictions Guidance

Following on from the new National restrictions which came into effect on 5th November, some useful information has been published to help holders of a Premises Licence or Club Premises Certificate under the Licensing Act 2003 understand and comply with the Regulations associated with the latest 'Lockdown'. 

You can access Part 4 of the new Health Protection (Coronavirus Restrictions) (England) (No. 4) Regulations 2020 which deals with the closure of, and restrictions on, businesses here

Poppleson Allen Licensing Solicitors have also published a very helpful summary of the latest restrictions placed upon premises in relation to food, drink and alcohol sales here

Finally, HM Government's website also includes guidance and information on the new National restrictions which can be found here . Please regularly visit this site as its content is subject to frequent change and updates. 

November 2020 - CCS Westhampnett MOT/Fitness Testing

The MOT/Fitness Testing facilities at CCS Westhampnett are currently and expected to remain open during the forthcoming 'Lockdown'. Contact Customer Services on 01243 785166 to book.

October 2020- Updated Government publication for restaurants, pubs, cafes or takeaways

On 6 October 2020 HM Government updated the publication titled 'Working safely during the coronavirus (COVID-19)'. This important guidance will be of interest to those who work in or run restaurants, pubs, cafes or takeaways. The guidance is available from this GOV.UK page  and is regularly being updated. 

October 2020 - Face coverings in Taxis and Private Hire Vehicles

Following the Prime Ministers announcement on 22nd September 2020, the Department for Transport (DfT) laid a Stautory Instrument in both Houses of Parliament to mandate the wearing of face coverings in taxis and private hire vechicles (PHVs) in England under the Public Health (Control of Disease) Act 1984. This regulation has now come into effect. 

In line with public transport and retails settings the Regulations give new powers to taxi and PHV drivers to deny access to a service, and to direct someone to leave a service, if they are not wearing a face covering without a legitimate reason. The requirement only applies when a service is being provided i.e. passengers are not required to wear a face covering when the vehicle is used for personal use. 

If you are in any doubt as to the current requirements please visit this GOV.UK page so that you can access all the necessary information and guidance. 

September 2020 - NHS Covid-19 App

You may be aware of the new NHS Covid-19 app, which will be launched on 24 September. Please visit our business support and advice webpage to make sure that you have everything you need to prepare for its introduction. 

July 2020 - Information from WSCC Public Health - Updated letter (29/07/2020)

Following a small outbreak of COVID-19 involving staff at a pub in Crawley, the WSCC Director of Public Health wishes to reiterate the importance of following current government guidelines. This is to ensure all your staff are able to operate safely. This is for the health of staff, customers and visitors.

Please read the updated letter and supporting documents which have been sent to licensed venues across the district.

July 2020 - Update about the film & TV industry

Please note this important update about the film & TV industry and how it relates to any filming or photography enquiries in the Chichester area.

The publication of the British Film Commission Production Guidance marked the final set of Film & TV Industry protocols to allow production activity to resume safely in June.  The following is approved industry guidance:

As a result advice was issued to Local Authorities as it was anticipated there may be an increase in requests to undertaking filming and photography.

Creative England and Film London produced a Covid-19 Action List for Filming in Public Locations which is below.

The purpose of the Covid-19 Action List is to ensure location filming complies with Government Covid-19 safety guidance and that filming activity does not increase the risk of spreading COVID-19 in the public domain. Please note, Creative England's  Covid-19 Action List supports and compliments the government approved Production Guidance (as listed above) and is an appendix to Creative England's Filming on Location Code of Practice.

Creative England's advice is that filming requests should continue to be considered on a case-by-case basis and for any filming application, the following is requested from the production:

  • Public Liability Insurance (as per usual practice)
  • Confirmation which Covid-19 guidance the production is utilising (as set out above)
  • Written agreement to abide by Code of Practice and Covid-19 Action List annex
  • Risk Assessment/s that are location specific and include Covid-19 specific risks
  • Lead Covid-19 contact details

Creative England advice is a dynamic document that will be amended as and when changes in Government guidance are published.

The most up-to-date guidance offers the following advice:

  • In light of social distancing changes in Government guidance, Creative England have produced a 2.0 version of their Covid-19 Action List (attached) which reinforces our priority to protect the public and not to regulate production activity. Therefore, references to cast & crew social distancing have been removed (as this is detailed in government endorsed production guidance) and 2 metre social distancing from public remains.
  • As an additional resource, it is recommended that crews filming on location in the Chichester area display the  Covid-Secure poster
  • In the event of any local lockdowns, the advice is 'production activity should be restricted only to journalists and broadcasters who are providing public service broadcasting and must ensure operation in line with the latest advice provided by UK Government and the NHS. There is no restriction or any form of official permission required for small crews where the only equipment is handheld cameras and where filming will not cause an obstruction.'

July 2020 - Re-Opening Guidance

Please see this link for guidance on maintaining records of staff, customers and visitors- Maintaining records of staff, customers and visitors to support NHS Test and Trace

Please see the below document for FAQs on COVID-19 Secure Workplace Guidance for Pubs-

June 2020 - Drive-in Cinemas

The UK Cinema Association has produced the below document which provides advice on working safely during COVID-19 when operating a drive-in cinema.

Please contact this Licensing Authority at Licensing@chichester.gov.uk if you are wishing to operate a drive-in cinema as there are likely to be licensing requirements.

June 2020 - Market Operator Guidance

As you are probably aware, up until 1st June outdoor markets were only permitted to offer food products and obviously only with covid safe working practices. Since that date Government have confirmed that as part of the phased return to re-open the wider economy outdoors markets of all kinds are permitted as long as the market operator delivers their event in an appropriate covid safe manner.

Markets outside of Chichester City Centre would not be subject of Street Trading Consent requirements as it would take place outside of the restricted/permitted areas. You will, however, require the permission of the landowner and would still be subject to any potential alcohol licensing requirements if selling alcoholic based products, otherwise you would not require a permission from this Licensing Authority. Please see this page of our website for all of the relevant information in relation to Street Trading, the PSPO and Pedlars Certificates- https://www.chichester.gov.uk/article/25489/Street-trading

Please see the below websites which provide useful information in relation to holding a market in this current situation:

June 2020 - Gambling Act 2005  

Please see this page of the Gambling Commision website for information on re-opening land based gambling premises- Gambling Commission - Information for operators re-opening land-based gambling premises

June 2020 - Licensing Act 2003 and The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) Regulations 2020 (as amended)

As a result of the current COVID-19 pandemic, we are currently receiving a significant number of enquiries from operators seeking advice as they reopen or plan to reopen their licensed premises as and when the current and every changing lockdown restrictions allow.

Currently, no statutory changes or relaxations to the Licensing Act 2003 requirements have been made which means that all licensed premises must, when trading, be operated in full compliance with the various terms of any granted Premises Licence or in case of a members club, Club Premises Certificate.  This means providing only the licensable activities authorised by the licence/certificate, on the specified days and times and in accordance with all conditions.  Amongst other matters, operators that are permitted to trade must ensure that the current social distancing requirements are fully complied with in order to minimise the potential for COVID-19 to be spread.

In order to be able to operate, many operators are considering changing or diversifying their normal business model.  With this in mind, we have created a short helpful guide provides operators with some useful information such as what application would be required in order to seek a particular change e.g. full or minor variation for the inclusion of an external seating area. 

Poppleston Allen Solicitors have also produced a guide titled 'Coronavirus - Licensing Pre-opening Checklist' which has some really useful guidance when planning to reopen a licensed premises, this is available from their website:  Poppleston Allen Coronavirus Pre-opening Checklist and we would strongly recommend that operators look through it.  Please be aware that it covers all types of premises and therefore some elements may not be relevant to all.

The following guidance has now been issued in relation to keeping workers and customers safe during COVID-19 in restaurants, pubs, bars and takeaway services. The guidance for hotels and other guest accomodatin can be found here

Naturally we will keep updating the Licensing webpages of the council's website as the situation further changes, and a wealth of information is also available on the GOV.UK website (working safely) .

Frequently Asked Questions

In addition to the really helpful Poppleston Allen checklist, we have included questions and answers below that this Licensing Authority is receiving frequently.

Q: My business does not currently sell alcohol, but I would like to start doing this. How do I obtain a licence?

A: All sales of alcohol require an authorisation by way of a Premises Licence, Club Premises Certificate or Temporary Event Notice. Undertaking the sale of alcohol without one of the above permissions in place is an offence. If you are wishing to undertake a one off event or a small number of short temporary events (i.e. temporary village shop for 3 weeks/pop up bar/pimms tent) please see our Temporary Event Notice page.

If you want to sell alcohol as part of your new business model on an ongoing basis (i.e.alcohol delivery service from your home address or from a restaurant/cafe) you will require a Premises Licence. Please see our licensing application forms page. Unfortunately due to the high volume of applications and enquiries we are receiving at the current time we are unable to assist you in completing your application, however once complete you can email a draft to licensing@chichester.gov.uk.

Q: My Premises Licence currently only permits the sale of alcohol for consumption on the premises. Due to the current situation with Covid19 I want to be able to provide alcohol for people to takeaway. How do I change my licence?

A: Please see our booklet titled 'Guidance for Operators of Licensed Premises during COVID-19'. This document includes lots of helpful information on whether you will require a full variation or a minor variation to amend your Premises Licence. If having read the document you are still unclear due to the complicated nature of your enquiry, please contact the Licensing Team directly.

Q: I want to apply for a new licence/make changes to my existing licence but I am not sure of the costs associated with this. What are the fees?

A: Please see our alcohol licensing fees page.

Q: I'm only able to sell alcohol inside my premises. I want to extend my licensed area to include a bar outside. How do I do this?

A: Please see our booklet titled 'Guidance for Operators of Licensed Premises during COVID-19'. Depending on the nature of your enquiry and whether it will have an adverse effect on the promotion of the four Licensing Objectives, it may be possible to submit a Minor Variation application. Please consider the document and if you remain unclear due to the complicated nature of your enquiry, please contact the Licensing Team directly.

Q: What does my Premises Licence currently permit me to do?

You should have both Part A and Part B of your Premises Licence at your premises. Part B must be clearly displayed and Part A must be kept on the premises. If you read Part A it will state everything that you are permitted to do under your Premises Licence including the activities and hours permitted, and any terms and conditions. If you do not have either Part A or Part B you must request a replacement copy the necessary form can be found on this page. A replacement copy of Premises Licence costs £10.50.

Q: My Premises Licence has a condition that I can't comply with because of Covid-19. How do I remove/change this?

A: Please see our booklet titled 'Guidance for Premises - Ensuring compliance with Premises Licence when operating'. Depending on the nature of your enquiry and if it may have an adverse effect on the promotion of the four Licensing Objectives (i.e. reduction in door supervisors) it is likely that you will need to submit a full variation application. However if you wish to amend your licence to increase the existing licensed area and as a result are offering to provide CCTV cameras a minor variation application may be suitable. Please consider the document and if you remain unclear due to the complicated nature of your enquiry, please contact the Licensing Team directly.

Q: I have received the annual fee invoice for my Premises Licence, do I still need to pay this?

A: There is currently no Government Legislation change in relation to the Licensing Act 2003, this means that annual fees are still due. However, we recognise that payments may be delayed due to the current situation with COVID-19.

Q: Am I able to allow customers to use the toilet at our licenced premises?
A: Please see this page of the Popplesten Allen website which has their opinion on this matter- Coronavirus: can premises offering off-sales open their toilets?

June 2020 - Safety Partition Screens in Private Hire Vehicles

It is a requirement that the holder of a Private Hire Vehicle Licence must not alter or change the specification, design, or condition or appearance of a vehicle without the approval of the Council, this includes the installation of a safety partition screen.  Following a number of enquiries, we have produced guidance titled 'Guidelines for Private Hire Vehicle Safety Partition Screens' .  This guidance provides some very useful information to those considering installing a screen and explains the process that must be followed in order to obtain approval. 

Effective from 6 April 2018: Revised Guidance under section 182 of the Licensing Act 2003

In April 2018 the Home Office published  revised guidance under section 182 of the Licensing Act 2003. This provides guidance to Licensing Authorities in relation to carrying out their functions under the Act and will be of interest to those who run licensed premises, their legal advisers and the general public. It also contains information regarding Magistrates' Courts hearing appeals against licensing decisions.

3 January 2018 - Important announcement regarding Basic Disclosure Checks for Personal Licence applications:

From 3 January 2018, applicants living in England and Wales will no longer be able to submit Disclosure Scotland Basic Disclosure Certificates as part of a Personal Licence Application to Licensing Authorities. Applicants will be required to apply for their criminal record check through the Disclosure and Barring Service website.

For a list of Responsible Organisations registered with the DBS to provide Basic Checks please the GOV.UK website . or apply for a Basic Check with the Disclosure and Barring Service

Any enquiries regarding this should be directed to the Disclosure and Barring Service.

Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS)
DBS Customer Services
PO BOX 110
L69 3JD
United Kingdom


20 May 2016- Updated Sexual Entertainment Venues Policy - Approved by Council

Notice is hereby given that on 17 May 2016 Chichester District Council approved for use it's updated Sexual Entertainment Venues policy. The Policy, having been through public consultation, now takes effect for a period of five years but can be subject of review during this time. The adoption of the policy was considered to provide a useful platform to potential applicants and business operators across the district in relation to the regime whilst minimising any potential associated corporate risks and community impacts.

The full effect of the revised schedule can be obtained by contacting the Licensing Team at licensing@chichester.gov.uk

16 July 2015 - Reminder to register new food businesses

Any person or business that carries out a food operation must be registered with the council. Ordinarily this is the council responsible for the area in which the premises or each premises is located. If you are starting up a new food business or are taking over an existing one then you will need to complete a registration form. Therefore, if you are applying under the Licensing Act 2003 for a new Club Premises Certificate, a new Premises Licence or transferring an existing Premises Licence, then you are likely to need to submit a registration form.


13 July 2015 - Consultation commences on the Draft Statement of Licensing Policy 2016-2021

Following approval by Cabinet on the 7 July 2015, the consultation period for comments to be submitted in relation to our Draft Statement of Licensing Policy 2016-2021 has now commenced. The policy will be used to guide the council when considering applications and notices received under the Licensing Act 2003. Please submit any comments you may have in writing, and by no later than the end of the 4 October 2015.