Toggle menu

Custom and self-build housing

What is custom and self-build?

  • Self-build housing is when someone organises the design and construction of their new home, either as an individual or a group.
  • Custom build housing is when someone commissions a specialist developer to help to deliver their own home.

Custom and self-build register

As a council we must keep a custom and self-build register to assess the level of interest in the district.  We use this register when carrying out our roles in relation to planning, housing, disposal of land and regeneration.

We use the register to inform us about the level of demand for serviced land plots in the district. This is so we can plan to meet this need. Entering the register does not guarantee that a suitable plot will be identified or made available to applicants. 

We have a legal duty to give planning permission for enough suitable serviced plots to meet the demand in the district. The level of demand is established by the number of entries added to Part 1 of the register during a base period. At the end of each period, we have 3 years in which to give an equivalent number of planning permissions for suitable plots.

Please note: this is not a duty to provide a plot directly to each individual on the register.

How is the register made up?

The register is divided into Part 1 and Part 2. Individuals or associations who apply and meet all the eligibility criteria and who have a local connection will be entered on Part 1. Those who meet all the eligibility criteria except for the local connection test will be entered on Part 2.

Am I eligible to apply?

Each individual applicant and every member of an association of individuals that applies for entry on the register must be:

  • aged 18 or over;
  • a British citizen, a national of an EEA state other than the UK or a national of Switzerland; and,
  • seeking (either alone or with others) a serviced plot of land in the district to build a house to occupy as your sole or main residence.

For entry onto Part 1, applicants and all members of an association must also meet at least one criteria of the local connection test.

At this stage, you are making no commitment - we are trying to find out how much local demand there is for self-build housing. You are agreeing that we can use the data you provide to understand the demand for custom-build and self-build housing.

The register will not be a public document, but we may publish headline data from it.

What is the local connection test?

  • have lived in the Chichester District Local Plan area (i.e., not in the South Downs national Park) for at least 5 years immediately prior to the date you apply to join the register; or,
  • have been employed in the district for more than 16 hours per week for the last two years; or,
  • have close family who have lived in the district as their main place of residence for the last five years and need the support of the close family or the close family needs the support of the applicant; or,
  • have been in the service of the regular armed forces or have left the service of the armed forces for a period of five years or less.

An association is eligible for Part 1 of the register if each member meets the criteria set out above.

We may ask for further evidence to support your application at later date if required. If you don't have a connection to the local area, you can join Part 2 of the register. 

Join our register

If you would like to join our register your interest for a custom or self-build plot, please complete the application form.

Register your interest for custom and self-build housing

  • We don't currently charge a fee to join the Chichester Self/Custom build register.
  • We do not formally support any commercial body or organisation delivering custom build housing.