West Sussex County Council is the authority responsible for on-street parking provision. Parking Services at Chichester District Council process and issue permits on their behalf.

Carers permits can be issued to residents receiving care who live within the controlled parking zones. The permit is issued to the resident of the property and can then be used by the carer whilst they are providing domiciliary care.

Apply, renew or pay for a carer permit

When renewing a carer permit, there are two stages to this process. First you have to renew the permit. This will give you a webcode. You will need this webcode to pay for a carer permit renewal.

ZonesApply for a carer permitRenew a carer permitPay for a carer permit renewalWhat type of permit will I receive?
A or S Apply for a carer permit Renew a carer permit Pay for a carer permit renewal

A digital permit. A notification email will be sent when the permit is active. There is nothing to display in the vehicle when using digital permits

E, F, G, H, H2, J, K, L, M, N and OApply for a carer permitRenew a carer permit Pay for a carer permit renewal A paper permit. A permit will be posted when an application has been reviewed and authorised.

Carer permit costs

Residents parking zone

Annual chargeSix month charge

Hours of restriction in zone

City Centre E


9:00 - 17.30

F, G, H, K, L, O


09:00 - 17:00

J, M, S


09.00 - 21.00

H2, N (part day)


10:00 - 11:00 & 14:00 - 15:00

A (part day)

£22£1209:00 - 10:00 & 13:00 - 14:00

Permits have a cost but are free to those who can provide evidence of being in receipt of one of the following:

  • Attendance Allowance (higher rate or lower rate where frequent help or constant supervision is required during the day).
  • Receives 8 points or more under the "moving around" activity of the mobility component of Personal Independence Payment.
  • Higher rate of the mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance.

Supporting information

Who can buy a carer permit

In order to buy a carer permit:

  • you must live at a property within a zone
  • the property should be your main place of residency
  • you must be a full time resident of the address requested
  • you must be receiving regular domiciliary care
What evidence will I need to provide for a permit

In order that your application can be considered, please provide the following evidence:

  • A council tax bill.
  • A domestic/utilities bill. (Dated within the last 3 months, showing your name and address)
  • A tennancy agreement.
  • Bank statements. (Dated within the last 3 months, showing your name and address)

Evidence of paid regular care must also be provided if applicable, this could be:

  • A letter from the care company stating how frequently the resident is receiving care.
  • Proof of a care/bank statement (showing payment for care)
  • A support plan.
  • Invoice for care payments.

If care is provided by a family member or friend then a letter from the applicants doctor on headed paper is required.

Please remember that without the required evidence we may not be able to process your application. The council reserve the right to refuse an application.

Using a carer permit

Please ensure you read and agree to the carers permit terms and conditions.

  • A carer permit is available for use in permit holder or shared use bays in the zone for which it is purchased. The zone is stated on both the permit itself and also the signs that accompany the permit holder bays.
  • 'POOLCAR' can be logged against a permit.
  • Failure to park in accordance with the West Sussex County Council Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) or to comply with the terms and conditions of your permit may result in a Penalty Charge Notice being issued.
  • If the council suspects that the permit is being misused, it reserves the right to withdraw or cancel a permit at any time.
  • Applicants should not park in a resident's bay until the permit or an alternative exemption is purchased.
Changing of registration / Adding additional vehicle registrations / Lost permits

Where a permit change is required, you will need to provide evidence to support your application.

Zone A and S changes

To apply to have a vehicle registration changed on a permit for zones A or S, please visit  MiPermit online and click on Permit Vehicle Registration Changes.

Zone E, F, G, H, H2, J, K, L, M, N and O changes

To apply to have a vehicle registration changed or advise us you have lost your permit for Zones E, F, G, H, H2, J, K, L, M, N & O, please apply:

  • There is an administrative charge for making changes to permits.
  • When your permit change request has been approved you will receive an email notification.
  • The Permit Holder must allow at least 3 working days for these requests to be processed and also consider council opening hours, Bank and Public holidays.
Carer permit refunds

Zone A and S refunds

To request a refund for zones A and S please contact  MiPermit online  or call them on 0345 520 7007.

Zone E, F, G, H, H2, J, K, L, M, N and O refunds

To request a refund for zones E, F, G, H, H2, J, K, L, M, N and O, the permit must be returned to Parking Services. Refunds can only be issued for the remaining full months of the Permit and at a minimum of £10.00. This will be payable by BACS transfer to the original payment card and a refund form must be filled out. If the refund needs to be transferred to a different card please fill in this section on the refund form.