South Downs National Park Authority
From 1 April 2011 the South Downs National Park Authority (SDNPA) is responsible for all planning in the South Downs National Park. The Authority deals with about 4,000 planning applications a year, making it the 8th largest planning authority in the country.
Here you will be able to insert your postcode and find out if your property, or application site, lies within the boundary of the South Downs National Park.
Where do I submit my planning applications?
- If you live within the National Park boundary you should submit your planning applications to Chichester District Council in the normal way. Please make planning fees cheques payable to South Downs National Park Authority.
- If you submit your application through the Planning Portal, this will be routed to Chichester District Council who will deal with it on behalf of the SDNPA.
What happens next?
- If the application is deemed 'significant' by the SDNPA then the application will be determined by a case officer at the SDNPA. See PDF document.
- All other (that is, most) applications will be determined by Chichester District Council, working in partnership with the SDNPA. These applications will be decided by the Chichester District Council planning committee, or planning officer, in accordance with local provisions for officer delegation.
- All communications regarding a planning application (letters, emails, phone calls) should be directed to Chichester District Council, not the SDNPA.
View submitted South Downs National Park applications
On the SDNPA Planning website you can search for planning applications that have been submitted from anywhere within the South Downs National Park boundary. You can search in a variety of different ways, including between specific dates, or within a specific local authority area, or for applications received and validated or decisions issued. You will be able to view the documents held for each planning application, as held on the Chichester District Council website, and make comments (if the application is still open for receiving representations).