The Housing Act 2004 requires local authorities to licence certain houses in multiple occupation. Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO) are those occupied by more than two unrelated persons who share facilities e.g. bathrooms and kitchens. From 1 October 2018 the existing licensing scheme for licensed properties is to be extended to include any property being occupied by five or more unrelated occupants who share facilities, regardless of the number of storeys. These properties must have a licence to operate. Landlords must apply for a licence before 1 October 2018. It is an offence to operate such a property without a licence or fail to comply with any conditions.

In order for a licence to be issued the landlord or manager will need to submit a valid application. Following receipt of an application the council will arrange to inspect the property to ensure it meets the Prescribed Standards.

The following information and documentation will be required to be submitted with an application:

  • A4 sized sketch plan of the layout of each floor.  You must identify the use of each room; location of bath/shower rooms, kitchens, toilets; room number of each unit of accommodation; approx size of rooms; location of heat/smoke detectors, break glass points, control panel, emergency lighting and fire doors

  • An Electrical Installation Condition report from a competent electrician

  • Gas Safety certificate(s) for all appliances

  • BS5839 test reports relating to the fire detection system (to be done in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions)

  • BS5266 test reports relating to the emergency lighting system (if applicable)

  • A Fire Risk Assessment

  • Copy of standard tenancy agreement

  • Planning/building control information (if applicable)

  • The appropriate fee

See further guidance on   Houses in Multiple Occupation and residential property licensing reform

If you think your property will fall within the definition of a licensable HMO, please contact the Housing Standards Team as soon as possible who will be happy to discuss the application process with you. If you wish to complete an online application form please follow the attached link.  Chichester District Council does not run selective or additional licensing schemes.

The public register for licensable HMO's can be viewed on request. Please contact the Housing Standards Team.

Apply to licence a house in multiple occupation

HMO Fit and Proper Person declaration form