Chichester District Council issue Dispensation Notices on behalf of West Sussex County Council. The purpose of these is to help ensure that trades people who carry out work across the district can carry out their work safely whilst causing minimal disruption.

A maximum of two active Dispensations Notices are permitted at an address at any one time and Dispensation Notices are only issued for legitimate works to enable a vehicle to park near to particular property, providing close access to tools and equipment that cannot easily be removed from the vehicle or where the vehicle itself is needed in order to carry out a function e.g. as a mobile power source for other equipment. Dispensations also provide permitted parking to authorised persons carrying out work in particular agreed circumstances, such as estate agents.

In some cases it may be more convenient and cheaper to use Residents' Visitors Permits purchased by the owner of the property in which the work is being undertaken.

When purchasing 5 days, we will give you the sixth free. Dispensation Notices are available to use from Monday to Saturday, including Bank Holidays and can be requested for a maximum duration of 1 month.

Dispensations are issued at the discretion of the council. They can be withdrawn at any time if they are not being used for their declared purpose, or for breaching the terms and conditions of use.

Where can they be used?

A Dispensation Notice request can be granted to undertake planned works at premises adjacent to parking restrictions. Dispensation Notices can be used in:

  • Permit Holder bays
  • Pay and Display bays
  • Shared use bays

A Dispensation Notice will only be granted where it is essential that the vehicle is parked close to the property in order to carry out works, and the impact on other road users, businesses or pedestrians, is kept to a minimum.

Yellow Line or Limited Waiting Area Dispensations

Permission to park on yellow line restrictions must be sought from Chichester District Council who can be contacted by telephone on 01243 534500.  Only in very exceptional circumstances will this be granted.


Outside the Controlled Parking Zones:

outside controlled parking zones cost
Dispensation Notice£5.00 Per day/£25 Per Week

Within the Controlled Parking Zones:

within controlled parking zones costs


Dispensation Notice

£10.00 Per day/£50.00 Per week

*City Centre

£16.00 Per day/£80.00 Per week

The roads in the *City centre are:

  • Baffins Lane,
  • Chapel Street,
  • East Street,
  • Guildhall Street,
  • North Pallant,
  • North Street,
  • North Walls,
  • Priory Road,
  • The Providence,
  • St Cyriacs,
  • St John's Street,
  • St Martin's Square,
  • St Peter's,
  • Tower Close,
  • Tower Street,
  • West Pallant,
  • West Street, and;
  • The Woolstaplers.


To apply for and purchase a Dispensation Notice, please visit East Pallant House. We will ask you to fill in a form which describes the work taking place, the location and the vehicle the dispensation relates to.

The council reserve the right to refuse an application where it considers the vehicle is not essential to the works, or offer an alternative location nearby if more appropriate. When arranging a Dispensation Notice, please take into account council opening times.

Using the dispensation notice

In order to use the Dispensation Notice, it must be displayed clearly on the dashboard of the vehicle. Each dispensation is unique and therefore should be displayed as instructed and readily available for Civil Enforcement Officers to check if required. It is not acceptable to amend the Dispensation Notice. If you are concerned that any of the information on the notice is incorrect, please contact Parking Services or return it to East Pallant House to be amended.  

Failure to display the Dispensation Notice correctly or to comply with the terms and conditions may result in a Penalty Charge Notice being issued. Dispensations are monitored by Chichester District Council and West Sussex County Council.

Who does not need a dispensation notice?

Existing exemptions for contractors on emergency call outs for gas, water or sewerage leaks, glazing repairs or mains electrical repairs are unaffected. In emergency repair situations a notice on business headed paper stating where you are working and your contact details must be displayed. Statutory undertakers and utility company vehicles parked within the works area are also exempt from requiring dispensations however, only throughout the duration of the works. Please remember that as soon as the emergency has been taken care of, the vehicles are no longer exempt from the restrictions.

Loading and unloading

It is not necessary to apply for a Dispensation Notice for the purpose of loading and unloading as it is acceptable to load and unload from Permit Holder bays, Pay and Display bays, Limited Waiting bays and yellow line restrictions providing the activity is continuous. We recommend that items/tools should be unloaded prior to the work taking place and the vehicle then relocated.