In this section, you will find some frequently asked questions and answers for our revenues and benefits customers, which may be particularly helpful at this time.






Q. I need to access one of your services or contact a member of the Revenues and Benefits team. How should I do this?

A. Whether you're a council tax, business rates or benefits customer, you can access all of our services 24/7on our website through 'My Account'. Simply visit and select the service you need.

Although our offices are now reopen we ask that you contact by email where you can on: and use our online services to make claims, update us of changes and to check payments. If you do need to call us, or if someone you know doesn't have access to the internet, they can call 01243 785166

We are sending letters and bills out twice a week. Where possible, we are asking customers to sign up for online letters and bills. To do this, simply go to and select the service that you need.


Q. I am a council tax, benefits and/or business rates customer. Can I access your services online?

A. Yes — whether you are a council tax, business rates or benefits customer, you can access all of our services 24/7on our website through 'My Account'.

By using 'My Account' on our website, you can:

  • manage payments, including setting up a direct debit
  • access council tax or business rates records
  • advise us of a change of address
  • view account details and recent bills
  • claim housing benefit or council tax reduction
  • report a change in your circumstances for housing benefit or council tax reduction, and
  • update personal details

Simply visit and select the service you need.

Q. I am a resident and need financial help to pay my bills. What can I do?

A. If you are on a low income or are out of work, you can claim Universal Credit.

However, if you:

  • you are a pensioner, and/or
  • you live in temporary accommodation.

Then you would need to claim housing benefit and/or council tax reduction from us instead.

Please note that different rules apply for some mixed age couples i.e where one is a pensioner and one is of working age. If you have any queries on what to claim please email

For help with council tax bills, please see the information below.

Q. When will I receive my £150 energy bills rebate?

A. We are making plans for payments to start being made in April. If you pay your council tax by direct debit you are likely to receive your payment quicker. Full details about the rebate, and for the latest updates please visit £150 energy bills rebate page.

Q. How can I apply for housing benefit?

A. Residents who are on a low income or are out of work, and who are not entitled to Universal Credit, can claim housing benefit.

To do this, please visit: Applying for benefit 

Q. How can I apply for Council Tax Reduction or access other help with my council tax bill?

The council offers a number of discounts for council tax payers, and you can see these options here: Council tax discounts 

One of the options is to apply for Council Tax Reduction. This is a means tested benefit and does not take account of outgoings. Applications should be made online at selecting benefits and make a claim.

As a result of Covid-19 the Council received some additional funding to be used to support those of working age in receipt of Council Tax Reduction in paying their Council Tax Bill. All current working age recipients of Council Tax Reduction will have received up to an additional £150 in support for this financial year. However additional support may be paid to bill payers financially impacted by Covid-19 for either the 2020/21 or 2021/22 billing years. 

Applications for Discretionary Council Tax Reduction can be made online and selecting Discretionary Council Tax Reduction. The form asks you to explain why you are struggling to make payments and to describe any steps that you have taken to resolve the issue, such as request a payment holiday, claim benefits or ask family and friends for support. You will also have to tell us about your household income and outgoings.

If you apply or have applied and you are still concerned about your Council tax account we urge you to contact us so that we can discuss your options. The best way to do this is by email or, alternatively you can call us on 01243 534509 although please be aware that in busy periods you may have to wait.

Q. I receive housing benefit and/or council tax reduction. Do I need to update you of a change in circumstance?

A. Yes please. It is important that you let us know about any change in your circumstances. This is quick and easy to do. You can do this by visiting  Change of circumstances

If your income has changed as a result of coronavirus don't forget to tell us so that your award can be amended. The easiest way to do this is online please visit

Q. How do I find out more about Universal Credit?

A. You can find further information about Universal Credit  online at: Universal Credit - .GOV page

Universal Credit can be contacted by calling the Universal Credit helpline on: 0800 328 5644 (Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm)

If you are already a Universal Credit customer, you can also contact them through your online account.

Q. I currently receive Universal Credit. Do I need to notify anyone of a change in circumstance?

A. Yes. You should notify the Department for Works and Pensions of any changes in your circumstances. You can do this by visiting: Universal Credit - Change of Circumstances  

For details of what constitutes a change, please follow the link above.

Q. I receive housing benefit/Universal Credit but am still having difficulty meeting my rent payments. Is there any extra help I can access?

A. You may be able to access extra help from the Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) Fund. This money is there to help people with their housing costs and is available to people in receipt of housing benefit or those who have housing costs included in their Universal Credit award, and where someone has a shortfall between the rent that they are eligible to pay and the amount of benefit that they receive. This can be applied for online at Benefit forms

You may also be able to access Council Tax Reduction on your council tax, which is a means tested benefit and does not take account of outgoings please visit our website for further details and to make an online application Residents who are experiencing difficulties paying their council tax are encouraged to contact the us to discuss the options available to them. You can also find out more information at: Council tax payment difficulties

Q. I am a district business. Can I access help with my business rates?

A. The council offers a number of business rate reductions, which you may be able to access. For more information, please visit: the discounts for business rates page  and the latest business rates announcements page.

Business Support FAQs

Further business advice and support can be found at: Business advice & support.