The family-friendly events, organised by BEL entertainments - behind events such as Last Night of the Proms at Stansted House - will take place on Friday and Saturday 30 and 31 July, and have been welcomed in direct response to the public's call for more events in public spaces across the district.

Councillor Briscoe added: "We are really excited to see events back in the district as this will help improve people's mental wellbeing as well as bring our communities back together in as safe an environment as possible," says Councillor Roy Briscoe, the council's Cabinet Member for Communities and Culture. "The BEL events are a really high-quality offering and I've been working closely with the organisers, our officers and local residents to ensure that they go as well as possible. I hope that these concerts will mark the start of the district properly opening up again.

"We have been keen to encourage a wide variety of events and we really do feel that there is something for everyone this summer from music, theatre and outdoor ballet, to family fun days, a circus, plastic free picnics, open air cinema and a children's party in the park, to name but a few. We are really excited about what's on offer and we hope that people in the district will enjoy what's planned."

Councillor Alan Sutton, the council's Cabinet Member for Housing, Events, Licensing and Communications, says: "As we recover from the pandemic, we see events as a really key way of helping people feel good again, while also helping our local economy recover and giving people opportunities to enjoy themselves again.

"Last year we published the first ever district-wide events strategy where we made clear our wish to attract and encourage more events across the area, and this was in response to a public consultation which found that people wanted to see more going on. In particular, our parks are full of activity this summer with lots happening until the middle of September."

A Night at the Musicals will take place on Friday 30 July in Priory Park, Chichester and will feature a live orchestra and West End singers. The following night, Saturday 31 July, the UK QUEEN tribute band will play. During the day there will also be a free Battle of the Bands event sponsored by V2 Radio where a group of local bands will be able to compete to open Saturday night's event.

People can find out more and purchase tickets for the evening events on the  Bel Events'  website.

On both nights the audience will be welcome to bring picnics, rugs and camping chairs to help soak up the atmosphere. People will also be asked to bring their own rubbish bags to dispose of their litter.

Organisers are due to start setting up for the events on Tuesday 27 July. From 3pm on the Friday and Saturday the park will be closed to the public, so that it can be made safe and ready for the concerts.

The main entrance will then be open again from 4pm on both days for people to buy refreshments from Fenwicks Café and also access the public toilets.

While the event is set up there will be 24-hour security and post-event clear-up will be completed by the end of Monday 1 August. People will be able to access all areas of the park again on the Monday. Signage will be displayed at the park well ahead of the event to let people know about access. People looking for alternative children's play facilities on the evening of Friday and Saturday will still be able to use Florence Park, Oaklands Park and Whyke Oval.

Alternative arrangements have been made for the cricket club while Chichester Bowls Club will not be playing their fixture that weekend.

Details of events taking place in the council's parks can be found on the council's What's on page.