This was considered at Chichester District Council's Full Council meeting on Tuesday 3 March, where a £5 (3.1%) rise was agreed. This means that the average Band D council tax payer will pay just over £3 a week for their council services.

"Because of the amount of savings we have managed to achieve over the last few years, Chichester District Council remains one of the lowest charging authorities in the country," says Councillor Peter Wilding, Cabinet Member for Finance, Corporate Services and Revenues and Benefits at Chichester District Council. "Our priority has always been to keep your council tax as low as possible, while still providing quality services for residents, and to ensure that we are able to continue providing support to people in our community who need it the most. 

"Like many councils, we have had to make significant savings over the last few years in order to cope with cuts to our Government funding, and our deficit reduction plan is still being delivered. This aims to generate further income and savings over the next few years, which we hope will keep any future council tax increases to a minimum for our residents.

"As a council, we always look to ensure that we are proactive when examining our finances, and that we put in place robust financial plans. This approach has put us in a good position to withstand changes to Government funding.

"We are also maintaining our council tax support scheme so that those who are most vulnerable in our communities will not receive any increase.

"People may not realise, but we provide more than 80 different services across the district and we feel that just over £3 a week is still excellent value for money."

Services provided include:

  • emptying bins
  • checking food hygiene standards
  • cleaning streets
  • dealing with planning applications
  • looking after the coastline, and
  • caring for parks and open spaces.

Chichester District Council collects all of the council tax, but only keeps a 9% share of this. The other 91% is then distributed to the following public services:

  • West Sussex County Council (around 77%)
  • The Police and Crime Commissioner (around 11%), and
  • parish councils (3% on average).

Each of these public service providers makes decisions about its council tax increases independently, and will finalise their amounts for the next financial year in the coming weeks.

Date of release: 10 March 2020

Reference: 3863