To apply, you will need to complete an application form and send original documentary proof of your course and student grant/loan.
You can claim Housing/Council Tax Benefit if you are a student who is:
- a lone parent
- receiving Income Support or Jobseeker's Allowance (income-based)
- aged under 19 - following a course of further education (but not higher education)
- with a partner who is also a full-time student and has dependant children or if you have dependant children
- a pensioner (aged 60 or more)
- disqualified from Employment Support Allowance
- or who needs to take a break from your studies due to illness or to provide care for another person
As an overseas student, there are additional restrictions. You can only receive benefit if you have made the UK, Channel Islands, Isle of Man or Irish Republic your permanent home. However, if you receive Pension Credit, Income Support or Jobseeker's Allowance (income-based), then you may qualify for Housing Benefit.
- Student Details [PDF 68kb]
Use this form if you claim or are applying for benefits and you or your partner is a student.