Housing and Economic Land Availability Assessment (formerly Strategic Housing Land Availability Assessment)
The Council is undertaking a Housing and Economic Land Availability Assessment (HELAA) to identify and assess sites that may have potential to accommodate future housing and economic development.
The HELAA will form a key component of the evidence base that will inform the Chichester Local Plan Review, which the Council is currently beginning to prepare following the Inspector's recommendation to review the adopted Chichester Local Plan: Key Policies 2014-2029 within five years.
The purpose of the HELAA is to identify a future supply of land which is suitable, available and achievable for housing and economic development (such as employment, retail and leisure) over the plan period. It is a technical study and will replace the Strategic Housing Land Availability Assessment (SHLAA) and Employment Land Review. Previous SHLAA documents can be viewed at the end of the page.
Draft HELAA Methodology
The Council has produced a draft HELAA methodology, which sets out how sites identified will be assessed. Comments on the draft methodology are invited from 20 July to 17 August 2016. The draft methodology can be viewed and representations made via the consultation portal.
Alternatively, the draft methodology can be downloaded below.
Call for Sites
The Council is also undertaking a 'Call for Sites' exercise and is inviting landowners, developers, members of the public and other organisations to identify sites that may potentially be suitable for housing and economic development.
If you have previously identified a site to the Council we would request that you re-submit the information as the Council is starting a new list of promoted sites for the Chichester Local Plan Review document and we need to know if the site is still available and that our information is up-to-date. If we do not hear from you, we may assume that the site is no longer available.
If you wish to identify a site for assessment or need to update a previously identified site, please complete and submit the following information:
- A separate site submission form for each individual site, providing as much information as possible in each entry (available below);
- Please attach a clear Ordinance Survey map for each individual site as a scale of 1:1250 or 1:2500 showing the boundaries of the site outlined in red; and
- Where applicable, please include the previous SHLAA reference.
Please note that sites identified must be:
- Located within Chichester District, excluding the area covered by the South Downs National Park; and
- Capable of delivering housing development with 6 or more homes or economic development on sites of 0.25ha (500m2 of floorspace) and above.
Call for Sites will run from 20 July to 17 August 2016 and Submission Form(s) with map(s) must be returned to us by:
- email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- post to: Planning Policy, Chichester District Council, 1 East Pallant, Chichester, West Sussex, PO19 1TY
Please note that the HELAA is a technical study and not a policy document. The Council's assessment of the deliverability and developability of sites for housing or economic development through the HELAA process does not indicate that it will be allocated in the Chichester Local Plan Review or imply that the Council will grant planning permission for any specific development proposal in the future.